Monday, September 14, 2009

Garbage in the trash can or garbage in my body

I've been traveling a ton lately, and each time I go through airport security I watch a ritual that amazes me. As people near the check point where their luggage will be inspected and liquids aren't allowed, a frenzy of liquid consumption takes place. Bottles of soda, whipped cream coffee drinks a mile high, waters, teas, and juices are downed in lightning speed. The comments of these frenzied drinkers are always the same "I can't take this with me, I better finish it up!" I wonder how many of these people actually want or enjoy what they are slamming down in those harried moments before going through security.
It brings up a point I constantly think of when I think about being free from food bondage. If I don't want or need the food or drink, I can easily throw it away, because it's garbage in the trash can, or garbage in my body. I'll choose the trash can!
For many of us we grew up being taught that we had to clean our plates, regardless of feeling stuffed or not hungry. "There are starving children in India!" was a phrase I remember hearing from well meaning adults. The truth is, eating what I don't want just to not waste food, is wasting it in my body! Our bodies are not trash cans, and eating what we don't need never helps anyone in India either.
We were created with a miraculous mechanism in our digestive system that alerts us when we are feeling full so that we can stop eating, feel satisfied, and move on to something else. The problem is that we are accustomed to not listening to that mechanism. We leave the table with pants unzipped, feeling guilty and overstuffed. Next time you are feeling full, but still have food in front of you remember this phrase "It's garbage in the trash can, or garbage in my body...I'll choose the trashcan!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!