Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Can you picture your life free from weird behavior with food? What would a day released from the nag of food look like? Many women I know have answered these questions with painful resolve. "I can't even pretend to picture a day in my life that's not wrecked by food..." they moan.

In the book of Habakkuk 2:3 God tells us to record our vision, so that the one who reads it may run. When I first began to get free from food bondage, I remember reading this verse, and literally creating a vision of myself free from the torture of my mental bullying with food. As I began to write this vision down, I enjoyed the thoughts of waking up in the morning with something other than food on my mind. I loved to imagine going through my day not thinking about what I could and could not eat, and dressing for the day without a barrage of negative comments smacking against my heart. At first I thought the vision was just wishful thinking, but then I read further into the verse.
"For the vision is yet for the appointed time; It testifies about the end, and it cannot lie.
Though it delays, wait for it, it will not fail. It certainly will come."
I realized that I needed to have a vision of my life, free from anorexic restriction and compulsive overeating. I needed to picture this life, and how I could live in it. Although it felt like the impossible dream at first- I wrote it down, and continued to look at it. The vision of freedom became my prayer of hope.
Oswald Chamber defines tenacity as "The absolute certainty that what you hope for will transpire." With God, tenacious prayer and vision always align with His character. He breathes life into our hopeless vision of ourselves, and helps us recreate a new vision of who we were mean to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!