Monday, November 8, 2010

Extreme Life Makeover


This picture was taken of me (on the left) and a few of the Astro's wives as we stopped by the set of Extreme House Makeover this summer. A family in Houston was selected to receive a new home- and we got to be a part of seeing this happen. The family of 7 lived in a literal shack. To make matters worse, since the hurricane that hit this area a few years ago, rats lived in the home with them! They were a deserving family who counseled married couples and helped those in their community. To see a beautiful home resurrected on the same property that their former shack sat on was pure inspiration.
It got me thinking about how God does Extreme Life Makeovers on us... The kind of makeover that can rebuild a life broken from habits, compulsion, and despair. The kind of makeover that says "I don't care how trashed out you are, or what condition the walls of your life are in...I can rebuild them."

It was fascinating to watch the "real" process of the home makeover- not the version we watch on TV (which I love...and always have a box of Kleenex handy). The day of the reveal it was about 100 degrees, and humidity to match. But people showed up in herds. The camera men asked us to yell "move that bus" about 15 different times so they could capture just the right angle on film. Once the family got out and there were screams and cries- they went into their new home. Quickly I realized that the home wasn't even near completion! I was told by one of the directors that they were ushered into a small unfinished room, and it would actually take another week at least to finish the home. So much for "reality" TV! I wanted to believe that it romantically transpires just like we see on the television- the door opens and it's automatically lovely. The truth is... it takes time. Just like God's work in us takes time.
When we let Jesus rebuild, remake, repaint, uncover, and restore- we witness an unveiling like no other.

I know God's Extreme Life Makeovers are possible. I was chosen for one, and have been crying in thanks ever since. Instead of "Move that bus!" maybe we can cry out "Change my life...".

It's the ultimate reality...
Blessings!
Gari

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great analogy of God's miraculous work in my life and many others. Thank you for bringing it 'home' a little bit more. I really like the part about "it takes time. Just like God's work in us takes time.
    When we let Jesus rebuild, remake, repaint, uncover, and restore- we witness an unveiling like no other."

    God's timing is PERFECT.....thank you for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!