Monday, January 24, 2011

Get in the Pool

When I was in college, each summer I would return home to work at a local health club. One of my duties was to teach all kinds of aerobics classes. I know I'm dating myself here- think big hair, leggings over tights, and disco music while we jumped around on a hard wood floor!
One day my boss informed me that he wanted me to teach water aerobics in the pool. "How hard can it be?" I thought, as I stood on the edge and shouted instructions to all my ladies immersed in the pool. When the class was over my boss called me aside and told me that to be an effective teacher I needed to get in the water with the ladies and actually do the class with them.
I have never forgotten that lesson- and boy was he right. Class attendance tripled, and so did my compassion for those I was teaching.

One of the things I respect most about Jesus is the way He fully understands what it's like to be human. Every heartache, temptation, desire and pull is completely familiar to Him. He is the essence of authenticity when it comes to being human.

"For since He Himself was tempted in that which He has suffered, He is able to come to the aid of those who are tempted." Hebrews 2:18


If Jesus merely taught from the side of the pool- barking out instructions about how we should live but not getting into the water Himself- I would have a hard time following Him. I'd constantly be wondering how He could truly understand what it feels like to be afraid, to lose something you love, to feel betrayed or abandoned- or to grasp the pain and beauty of being fully alive.
If He hadn't gotten in the pool and become human I couldn't trust Him- much less give my life to Him.

The truth is He did more than get in the water. He actually is the "lifeguard"- not only lapping around us with ropes and lifesaving rings, but putting us in a sidestroke- His arms over our limp bodies, protecting us from the depths, carrying us towards safety.

So even if you can't see the bottom of your pool right now, know that your lifeguard sees you. He knows the depths of your life- and He's been in the pool.

Blessings-
Gari

1 comment:

  1. Gari, you don't know how much I needed to read this tonight. Thank you.

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!