Friday, June 10, 2011

Spirit Hunger...What are we really longing for?


Do you ever feel hungry for something that food or substance can't satisfy? Do you sense longings that seem to push and percolate their way to the surface of bland days? Lately I've been pondering this as I write my next book.

Most psychologists and sociologists agree that humanity has certain longings that are universal in nature:
1. Longing for nurture, attention and affirmation
2. Longing for purpose
3. Longing for intimacy: to hear and be heard
4. Longing for discipline


In my own life I can see how these longings have sometimes pushed me into some tight corners. Craving to be noticed and affirmed--taking on tasks I don't desire to create purpose--substituting real intimacy for fake replacements--and facilitating between being overly discipline and lacking discipline.

As I write this I'm sitting at Panera next to a table of beautiful women that look to be around 60 years old. Dressed to a tee, sharp make-up and outfits, I can tell they are old friends with history. One woman is dominating the conversation- talking about everything from her house to her dog. She's talked for about 20 minutes straight, and I don't think her friends could budge a comment in if they tried. But they seem to love this friend, or at the very least- tolerate her with respect. (I know it seems nosy that I'm talking about their conversation, but they're talking really loud for goodness sake!)

Listening to this got me thinking about longings. Maybe this chatty friend needs extra nurturing and affirmation today. Maybe she's floundering with no purpose and longs for an extra measure of intimacy today. Or, maybe she lacks the discipline to notice it's time to let someone else speak. Whatever the case- it reminds me of how God must lovingly sigh when we run from thing to thing to satisfy ourselves. It's a little like pouring water into a broken pitcher. You can pour with the greatest intention, but the water is still going to leak all over place.

I can always tell when I'm trying to pour a broken pitcher of water over my messy longings. It's then that I ask God for a filling that doesn't leak.

Blessings!
Gari

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Gari, that's hilarious (the long-winded woman) and touching (trying to pour a broken pitcher of water over my messy longings.) God bless! and praying for the wisdom to know when to shut up and when to allow God to pour more into my own leaky self. Thanks for the lovely thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!