Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Rewiring our brains for change

Yesterday I talked about an article I read in Good Housekeeping. The gist of the article was that it is possible to rewire the neurological paths our brains function in. (If you didn't read yesterday's blog, check it out! There's some good research in it!) Some of the fall-out of poor brain functioning with food is: bingeing, eating with no regard to hunger, throwing up or feeling the need to "work-off" everything we ingest, using pills or laxatives to monitor routines with food, and simply over or under eating food regularly...living in fear that food will forever craft the way we view ourselves.
I remember a time when I lived in the middle of all of these behaviors. What a muddy mess! Then one day I stood in my closet and cried out to God..."Jesus, You say that we can have life, and life abundantly. This isn't abundant life- it's a hellish prison. Help me break out!"
That was the beginning of my brain rewiring.

So how do you go from the desire for brain surgery, to the actuality of living it? Here are a few of the things that I did both short-term and long-term to eradicate wrong thinking and habits, and replace them with truth and life.

1. Be honest with God and yourself about the behavior that has held you captive. No excuses or rationalizations! (Food is my only friend...I deserve this reward of food...It's no big deal if I overeat, tomorrow I'll diet!) Confess this thinking and ask God to forgive the mess we've participated in with food.

2. Be intentional with food like you would someone or something you love. Pay attention to what you eat-- not in a tormenting, dieting way, but a smart and excited way. I literally rewired my brain as to what I enjoy eating. Coming from a cheeseburger and Captain Crunch addict, this was huge. I am free to eat what I want, but most of the time I choose delicious, healthy food because I've rewired my brain to like them.

3. Understand that continuing to "present" my body as a slave to food is my choice. God doesn't love me any more or less according to my behavior with food, but by continuing to participate in the craziness, my life isn't what it could be. I love this scripture: "So consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Don't let sin reign in your body, that you would go on obeying its lusts. And don't go on presenting your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness, but present yourself to God, as alive from the dead!" (Romans 6:12)

Keep believing! Keep changing! Every small brain rewire is precious to God, because it means that you want to live a life free from bondage and full of hope.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gari! The LORD never ceases to amaze me! This morning, while pulling out of my church parking lot, I asked Him to discipline my mind in obedience to His ways with my eating, exercise and all together lifestyle. I have battled my weight my whole life (I used to wear a 6x as a child). I have gone up and down my whole 29yrs of life. I now have a 4 yr old boy and need even more discipline in all areas to be a succesful single mother. BUT I HAVE THE LORD AS MY FATHER AND HIS AND HE ALWAYS ANSWERS ME....TODAY HE DID IT IN ABOUT 5 HOURS!! I found you through the KLOVE website looking for things going on for this month in our area. Hopefully I can attend the meeting at the church advertising your material but if not, I will definately get your book. THANK YOU FOR HUMBLING YOURSELF TO SHARE YOURSELF WITH THE WORLD AND LETTING THE LORD EMPTY YOU SO HE CAN FILL YOU WITH HIM

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!