Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Overcoming our Spiritual Hysterics

Hello sweet blog friends! I'm so sorry I disappeared for so long!

In the past 5 months I wrapped up a career in educational consulting, spoke at various speaking engagements around the country, sold and moved out of our home in Colorado, drove a huge moving truck to Texas with a girlfriend (we affectionately nicknamed it "The Beast"), worked in Uganda for most of June, and settled into a new home and life in Houston! Whew...I"m tired just typing about it!

In the months that followed this blitz of travel and chaos I came into a time of mental fog. It seemed that every time I sat down to pray and read the Bible I felt like I was tunneling through an iceberg with a blow dryer! Why couldn't I get back to the mental sharpness I was used to functioning in? Why did I feel like I needed to go back to Christianity 101 to reign my tired brain into submission?

It was during this time that the Lord spoke so sincerely to my need for chaos and challenge. He said "wait"... Wait? Are you kidding? I'm a mover and a shaker. A believer in healing, goodness and inspiration. "No" He said..."Just wait."

Oswald Chambers, the brilliant writer and preacher from the early 1900's said something that I still read each day. It's written on a sticky note above my kitchen sink- now wet and stained. It simply says..."Are we detached enough from our own spiritual hysterics to wait on the Lord? To wait is not to sit with folded hands, but to learn to do what we are told."

When our spiritual hysterics are screaming and pushing. When we are addicted to challenge and chaos. Or when life simply seems to spiral in directions that are unexpected- we wait on God. Our kicking, screaming, fretting and manipulating does no good. We wait... And it's in the waiting that the spiritual fog lifts.

Blessings...
Gari

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!