Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Rough Stones to Precious Gems

In an effort to provide affordable but exciting entertainment, my seven year old and I headed to the local toy store to see what trouble we could get into. We spotted a rock tumbler on display. On the box it read, “changes rough stones into beautiful high-luster semi-precious gemstones.” So basically, the process was to place the rock in the tumbler with other rocks and/or a grit substance. As the tumbler turns the rocks fall, crash together, and are rubbed by the grit. When the once rough and jagged rocks emerge from the tumbler they are smooth and polished.

Watching this process was intriguing. The more friction these rocks came into contact with, the more beautiful they became. My thoughts turned to my own life and the trials I come up against. As Christians, we are to use our hardships and any friction in our lives to polish ourselves and grow more beautiful to the Lord.

Paul spoke of the thorn in his flesh, a messenger from Satan that was sent to torment him. He begged the Lord to take it away:
2 Corinthians 12:9-10
"But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Delight in weaknesses??? Hmmmm. So what does that mean? In times of trial typically the last thing on my mind is how I can grow from the situation. However, the Lord is not expecting that we jump for joy when something terrible happens. He is asking that we find the will of God in these situations and use them to beautify and polish our souls.

For when I am weak, then I am strong??? More strength is required to stand up from being knocked down than to remain standing without adversity. The rocks in the tumbler did not break, they changed. The act of changing requires more strength than deciding to give up.
To illustrate my point (and add a bit of humor) I found this cute comic about a lump of coal:

May we all use the friction and adversity in our lives to change from rough stones into beautiful high-luster precious gems.
“….for my power is made perfect in weakness….”
Blessings,
Jessica

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this message. It came on time. Love it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Michigan Gemstone, Jewelry & Coin Show August 26 2012.

    Ticket Price
    Adult $5.00
    Kids under 13 Free
    Tickets Available At The Show
    Includes Free Food, Cash Bar & Entertainment


    All age show where you can find gemstones and jewelry.
    You can find items that you will not find any where else.


    Precious gemstones, fine jewelry, beads, crystals, minerals, coins, fossils, cutting rough, findings, and lapidary supplies, gem faceting, silversmithing, wire wrapping, lapidary tools, jewelry equipment, precious metals & jewelry making supplies.


    August 26 2012
    The International Banquet Center
    400 Monroe Street
    Detroit Michigan


    Show Hours


    Sunday 9 am - 6 pm
    For more info call 248-390-7530 or visit www.preciousgemstones.biz
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!