Wednesday, May 16, 2012

God’s Little Fingerprints

Written by: Jessica Russo

Co-blogger for Truly Fed Ministries
 
Over the past three years I have been tested tremendously as a parent. Working through feelings of stress and sadness thinking I was failing miserably at the most important job of my life. I thought there was no way my children would grow up to be normal, average adults.
Over time, with continuous prayer and unlimited support from my mother and mother-in-law, I have now decided my children will certainly not grow up to be normal average adults. They will be innovative, extraordinary adults. There is a gradual switch happening in my life now from raising them in my mind—with my thoughts, and my ideas—to forming them within their minds, acknowledging and validating their thoughts, and challenging and building on their ideas. They are not to be the children I created in my image; they are the children God created in his own (his little fingerprints.) I am here to guide, guard, and direct them back to Him—using all the character, talents, and challenges He gave them.

As a parent I am not called to raise my children to be like me,
Rather, I am called to raise them to be individuals they were created to be;
Not to follow a specific parenting guide,
But to approach my child in the most appropriate and effective way for them;
Not to judge their wrongs,
But to encourage their rights;
Not to limit their successes by labeling their weaknesses,
But to find their strengths and build on them;
Not to shame inappropriate behavior,
But to guide them to better choices;
Not to blame them for family dynamics,
But to work through family issues together;
Not to expect perfection,
But to acknowledge my own imperfections and show my continual strives to improve;
Not to buy toys and devices to entertain them,
But to play dolls and power rangers along with them;
Not to play God over their life,
But to teach God in their life;
Not to carry, Not to push,
But to walk alongside and help them keep their footing.



My oldest son (8 years old) has his share of battles to fight and challenges to overcome but he is a child of God…fearfully and wonderfully made. As you can probably tell from the blog this week we are currently walking through a bit of a storm with him right now. When storms arise in his life I sometimes feel like I am the one drowning while he is still swimming and trying to pull me to shore. Then the guilt sets in that I was not the mother he needed in his rough times. Yes, we have all been there. 

If you have children or grandchildren that struggle with learning disabilities, physical handicaps, self-image, or even just being misunderstood; take heart. God has placed each bump in their path for a reason and we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)

Let us love these children with all that is in us no matter the circumstance. After all, they are all little fingerprints of God.

Blessings,
Jessica

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. It is an encouraging message, especially for me, young mother of three. Thank you God that you are with our children!! Help us to "Not play God, but to teach God in their life."
    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!