Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Not a Catalina Cowgirl

Written by: Jessica Russo

Co-blogger for Truly Fed Ministries
When I was young traveling the rodeo circuit I just knew I wanted to grow up to be a Catalina Cowgirl from Bryan, TX. Watching them parade out in their glitzy vests mounted on beautiful paint horses was my favorite part of the Houston rodeo. The plan was set for me to one day be in that pack, riding through the arena with my hair blowing back and carrying an American flag that blasted fireworks out of the top. Yep, that was definitely my future.

As time passed I moved off to college, met my wonderful husband Chip, and my life changed from dust on my boots to concrete under my pumps. Thinking back there were so many things I had anticipated for my future; so many expectations I was determined to meet. As a young adolescent I would have never thought I would be where I am now, and that I would have the experiences I’ve had thus far. Although I have learned that each experience teaches and prepares me for what is ahead, sometimes I still catch myself wondering why God has placed me certain situations or guided me down certain paths.

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.

While thinking about God’s plan and how it unfolds with or without our understanding or consent I thought of three instances that most of us can relate to:
1.     Scolding your child and realizing, for the first time, you are looking up at them. Not something a parent is ever prepared for but an instant realization that life unfolds and transforms us all whether or not we notice, whether or not we prepare, or whether or not we agree.
2.     Losing a job or income to support your family and wondering how to make ends meet. Life changes like this can immediately redirect your life and test your faith in so many ways. Somehow when we walk through the storm we end up in greener pastures on the other side of it. The situation itself may not change but we are changed by it.
3.     Caring for a loved one during their last days is a heart-wrenching task that we all eventually face. I wasn’t prepared to lose my Father so early and could not understand why this was God’s plan. Why the suffering? Why the immense pain? Through it I learned the power of God, the mortality of each of us on this earth, and the peace that awaits us when we are called home.

We will never foresee God’s plan for our lives but if we keep our hearts and eyes on him he has promised us this:
-          He will equip and prepare us ( Hebrews 13:21)
-          He is bigger than all of it ( John 16:33)
-          His plan and will for us is perfect ( Romans 12:2)

So, I may never gallop into the grand entry shooting fireworks from atop the flag hoisted from my hip during the National Anthem while everyone stands, proudly covers their heart and covets every graceful movement my horse and I make. It is more likely I will get out of bed each morning, check the boys’ sheets for accidents in the night, spend 10 minutes looking for matching socks, all while they ungratefully choke down their breakfast and gripe about having to wear collar shirts. Then get them off to school and hide with my bible and cup of coffee in the corner hoping for a few minutes of quite time to re-center. Yes, it may not be as glamorous as I had once planned, but it is right where I’m supposed to be and it is perfect.

Blessings!
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!