Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Threshing Floor


Written by: Jessica Russo

Co-blogger for Truly Fed Ministries
 
Threshing floors were used to separate grain from the chaff at harvest time. The first step was to lay the grain on the threshing floor and drag a spiked board over it which separated the heads of grain from the stalks (Isaiah 41:15-16)

Then the broken stalks were tossed in the air to catch the wind. The husks would be blown away leaving only the good grain to fall back down to the threshing floor.
Six weeks ago our family entered the threshing floor as we began the process of weaning our son off of a medication that helps him with focus, stabilizes mood, and slows his processing. After 2 years on medication I needed to re-evaluate his ability to cope without it. I have come under a lot of scrutiny from other mothers for medicating my child as well as scrutiny from his Doctors for taking him off of it. Both of which I understand but neither of which I will speak to in this blog. With summer approaching we started the process of slowly draining the chemical out of his system. We started with only giving a half dose. The change of chemical sent his brain into a tailspin of emotional and physical outbursts to levels of which we were unprepared.
We were so out of our realm of expertise in dealing with the situation that all we could do was raise him up from the threshing floor and let the breath of God blow through him separating him from the uncontrollable yet unnecessary emotions ailing his body and mind.
After several weeks of separating and parting from the medication, we are now starting to see the wheat pour down like blessings; filling and renewing his spirit.
Our boy is back—clear of mind, sound of heart. Although he’s faster than the speed of light and not always able to slow down and focus, he’s happy, healthy and fascinating in his own right.
With much direction and discernment I write this blog. Not to focus on my son and his challenges, or to tell only his story, but to give you a real life example of an act of cleansing that is bigger than what our earthly bodies are capable of.
Many times I have tried to fix issues or situations that I was never created to fix on my own. I’m sure we can all relate. Some things are bigger than us and need to be taken to the threshing floor for God to separate the good from the bad; the useful from the useless. As we wait on that floor he will rain down that which is good, that which we should gather up and protect for our use (Matthew 3:12.)  
The notion of a threshing floor is used in several places in the bible as a metaphor for judgment. However, it’s a powerful metaphor for cleansing as well. It’s in our moments of surrender, of trust, of release--that God breathes into our lives and cleanses. It’s on my life’s threshing floor that I toss my circumstances like wheat up to God, and watch in wonder as his blessings pour down over me.

Blessings,
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!