Sunday, August 16, 2009

Being flexible with food... Ouch!

I just had a bizarre experience with food- even after 22 years of freedom from food related compulsivity. As I have been traveling with my husband through minor league baseball towns- eating at strange times and not on any routine, I have pondered the state of my freedom. I typically eat one meal each day here(a good meal and I eat only until I feel full) and by the time his baseball game is over, it's late, and I eat only a snack, even though I'm really hungry by then. It's unlike my routines at home where work and daily schedules dictate a more normal eating pattern. This morning my husband and I woke up and went for a run. We then showered and ran some errands, and planned to go to a restaurant that I loved for lunch. It was around 12:30, and I was really hungry. Right before we got to the restaurant my husband mentioned wanting to check out the buffet offered at the hotel we were staying at. I said sure, thinking that of course he would rather eat at the place I wanted to, but I'd go along with the "checking it out" to be polite. Once we got into the buffet he said he'd rather eat there, and I agreed that it was OK, even though I really wanted to eat a particular salad that I loved at the place across the street I prayed a silent prayer that I wouldn't be grumpy or unpleasant to my husband or son. The meal wasn't nearly as good as what I hoped for, but I made the best of it. Later in the day I had to ponder a few tough questions: Was I so locked into my hope for that good meal that I was willing to risk good time with my family over it? Am I just so used to getting my way with my husband that when he actually had a desire that opposed mine I was mad? I thought and prayed about these questions all day as they perplexed me. I know I'm free and so happy with my freedom, but sometimes there are interesting fragments of selfish compulsion that try and push their way into my heart. Being flexible is a sure sign of true growth in someone that struggles, or at one time struggled with anorexia. This was a great reminder of that truth..

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!