Sunday, August 30, 2009

What should I weigh?

Have you ever thought about the relentless pursuit we sometimes engage in to attain a weight that doesn't make sense for us? I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I don't get on a scale very often. In my old behavior I wore that scale on my finger like a mood ring. If it was high, I was miserable. If it was low, I was thrilled, and anticipated a good day.
When I began to heal from food bondage I remember thinking about a novel idea. Why not pray and ask God what a good weight for me is? After all, He created me- He might have a decent clue what a good weight for me might be! Once I uttered a prayer about this, I instantly knew what the right weight for me was. Not too thin, but thinner than the doctor's charts that dictate a certain weight for a height. I have stayed within the same 4- 5 pound range of that weight for over 20 years now. Sometimes the scale dips a bit lower by a pound or two, and sometimes it's a pound or two higher- but the difference is my reaction to it. No more mood ring for me! If it's higher I become more intentional with my food intake for a few days (sowing seeds as I call it in my book Truly Fed), and if it's lower I just continue with my life as usual. The scale is not a dictator! It doesn't have any real power. It's just numbers on a piece of metal. The real power is in your ability to walk towards freedom, to pray for wholeness, and to accept God's wisdom and direction for a new way of living with food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!