Friday, August 14, 2009

The Freedom we Find in Discipline

Freedom and discipline seem to war against each other. When we think of freedom we often think of lazy days at the beach, or being free to do whatever we want. The truth is, freedom is never actually free. The only way we enjoy freedom, is through an understanding of discipline. When is comes to food, we're free to eat what we want to eat, but not gluttonously. We lose freedom when gluttony enters the picture. Gluttony never invites freedom. Its only companions are guilt, failure, and stomach aches! I remember back in my "prison days" with food, I never felt free. I felt like I had no self-control. I hated myself for it, but it drove my emotions and self-image like an angry drill sergeant. Now that I am free I realize that I don't need to overeat food to feel satisfied. There is a powerful scripture in the bible that talks about sowing seeds to the flesh for destruction, or sowing seeds to the spirit for life. Life-sowing seeds regarding food and eating are what changed my life for over 22 years now. What a wonderful feeling it is to be Truly Fed and Truly Free!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!