Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Day in the Life of a Freedom Finder

I often ask people in Truly Fed classes to imagine what a entire day would look like, free from the control of food. They squirm and ponder- and painfully confess that they can't really picture it, because every one of their senses is so warped with destructive behavior towards food.
Today I flew in a small propeller plane from Denver to South Dakota to do some consulting. As I drove past farms, hay stacks, and a robin blue sky based against the Black Hills, I thought about my former life compared to my current life. Back in the old days- food would have been on my mind every minute. What am I going to eat? Where can I get what I want? Will I be able to eat a normal quantity without getting sick? Do I want to binge tonight? I can starve it off later? Where can I work out?
My mind hurts just thinking about the mental cyclone that was typical in my daily thinking. Today it's completely different. I actually enjoy where I am, being present in every place that God brings me. Today it's South Dakota, and it's beautiful. I've been here for hours and haven't even thought about food once! In a few minutes I'm going to drive to Mnt. Rushmore and enjoy it, and then look for a place to eat. I'll eat what I want, usually healthy, but not restrictive, and stop when I feel full. I'll go to bed and feel great when I wake up, because binging and overeating are not part of my habitual behavior any more. Freedom is the gift, no... treasure- that we all can have. We all deserve it, and God wants us to live that way. Many people say to me, "Well maybe this is just the cross I have to bear in my life!" Not true! Some say "This is my one pleasure in life!" Overeating, binging, or starving is not a pleasure, it's a counterfeit. Freedom is the exhilaration of knowing that you won't ever return to your self-deception. It's knowing that God is your biggest cheerleader, and will direct and lead you to taking the chains off your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!